Wednesday 4 March 2015

Testing my Miss Havisham hairstyle

Now I have my finished hair design in place, I wanted to test it before going any further with it.



I started by parting the hair down the centre of the head.
I then sectioned off the back part of the hair roughly in line with the back of the ears on the mannequin head. 
I clipped the front sections out of the way for the meantime.
I continued by putting the back section in to a fairly mid height pony tail with a elastic hair tie.
I then plaited this, using the conventional plaiting method, and secured with a clear elastic at the bottom.
I then coiled the plait around itself to create an elegant looking bun shape, making sure to keep it fairly flat to the head and not to pronounced. 
Starting with the right side of the head, i released the hair from the clip at the front of the head and began creating ringlets. for this I used my remmington pearl wand which wasnt really the ideal tool to use as it doesn't create an even curl but its all i had at the time. I took inch wide section and twisted the hair around the barrel making sure to have all the curls going in the same direction.
I repeated this on the left side as well.

Unfortunately due to the type of wand I was using the curls didn't really come out quite right and looked quite wavy. But for a practice Im quite pleased with this outcome, I pulled on the curls and back combed them slightly to give a more disheveled appearance. I also placed a floral headband at the parting which i intend to become part of Miss Havisham's bridal veil. I think the overall style does look quite traditional and with the addition of a veil will elevate my characterisation of Miss Havisham even further.

However, my look was not yet complete. I still needed to spray the hair to give an aged and dusty effect to further the connotation that Miss Havisham is neglectful of her well being and has allowed her hair to grey prematurely and gather soot and dust. 


In the picture above you can see I've sprayed the hair using dry shampoo. I love that you can still see the natural hair tone through the shampoo and i feel this fits well with my representation of Miss Havisham as I don't really want her to appear old..more disheveled and unkempt. 

Another issue that arose from practising on the mannequin is that it has quite uneven, short hair which can be quite a pain to style. My model for Miss Havisham has actually got very long thick hair which will be entirely different to work with so I feel a practice with her would be most ideal to prepare myself for the assessment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment