Wednesday 4 March 2015

Practising my Miss Havisham Hairstyle on my Model

As discussed in my previous post, I found that practising my intended hairstyle for Miss Havisham quite difficult on the mannequin therefore I arranged to practice the style on my model in order to thoroughly iron out any issues before assessment day. 

Here are some finished images from my practice session with Aine, my partner. 

Using the same method as my previous post, I parted, sectioned and plaited the hair. 

Aine's hair is a little bit dry so i encountered a few fly away hairs, but for this look it really doenst matter because the end result is supposed to look disheveled and I had planned to backcomb the bun slightly to give a more 'messed up' look.


After curling the hair, i placed the veil part of the headdress on top of Aine's head just to see what t would look like. I then loosened the curls and mussed them up by backcombing them lightly. When I looked at Aine face on, I found that there was just too much hair around the face and it just looked very overpowering and i felt that it would take away from the make up.
So I rectified this by undoing the knot at the back of the head and incorporating more of the curls in to the bun at the back, I then took photos to see what effect this achieved.


I found that incorporating more hair in to the bun at the back was a success and I felt much happier with the look from the front now. 

I made a note of where the new parting was and took a photo to remind myself of this for future practice and the real assessment. 

When I got home that evening I decided to take it upon myself to construct the headdress properly so that it looked seamless and realistic.

The veil I originally purchased with the dress came with this gaudy silver crown attached to it, which for starters I didn't need as the headband would sit on top of the head nicely and also it really wouldn't have fit in with the look.
So I gently detached the veil material from the crown and disposed of the crown.

I then took the headband and applied glue to the back where the veil would be attached ensuring that I had the right side first. I knew placing the veil here would be fine as I had tested it previously and the backcombing and volume of the hair disguised and joinings. 

Et Voila! A make shift Miss Havisham Headdress!

No comments:

Post a Comment