Tuesday 17 March 2015

Examples of Victorian Hair in Popular Culture - TO DO

An example of an early victorian hair style in a TV Series

Character: Emily Reid
Series: Ripper Street
I found this example of what I believe to be an early victorian hairstyle. It features typical aspects such as a middle parting with tights curls concentrated at the sides of the head. The hairstyle is quite frizzy and looks like its hasn't really been cared for - suggesting perhaps that this character is poor or is undergoing some emotion turmoil. 

An example of a late Victorian Hair style in a TV series
Character: Katherine Pierce
Series: The Vampire Diaries
In my research, I came upon this style featured in the TV series The Vampire Diaries. I found the hairstyle to be quite reminiscent of late Victorian hair due to the relaxed long curls and centre parting. I found that in the series The character Katherine Pierce, was exiled to Britain in the early 1800s and in the episode pictured above returned to her original home in the US. So it would seem that the producers of the show have taken her characters background in victorian England to influence her hair styling. I really like this style, I think its very feline and quite sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment