Monday 4 May 2015

Claudia - Face Chart & Hair

Moodboard devised for Claudia featuring make up and hair ideas as well as images of inspiration and a colour scheme.  Ive kept the colour scheme quite pale yet feminine to heighten the connotation of innocence within a 60s genre. 


This is my face chart for the character of Claudia. Ive kept it fairly simple, but tried to include influences from the 60s horror icons Ive studied (Barbara Steele & Mia Farrow) such as the bold brows and, pale matte skin and heavy focus on the eyes. With the eyes I've also taken influence from the 60s era, which old horror films of the 60s often did. The lips are typical 60s style, a nude peach tone. 

I wanted the hair for this character to also reflect Horror films of the 60s, but I also wanted it to have a fairly disheveled look to it, as in my head Claudia's appearance wouldn't have been spotless - it would have been the best representation of what she sees in Horror films.
Looking back at images I have sourced from 60s Horror films, I found these two hair styles on Barbara Steele in the films Black Sunday () and The Horrible Dr Hichcock ().




I like these hairstyle because they fit in with their respective films time period as well as retaining elements from current fashions - for example the hair is quite typical bouffant style of the 60s, with little hair around the face to draw concentration to the eyes and face. 

At this point I was really sure how to start adapting these ideas for my models hair, so I took to youtube for some ideas on how to create a similar hair style. 



I found this tutorial online and take some steps from it to adapt the style for my character of Claudia. 

 Starting with the top of the hair, I put the hair in to rollers. For the top section of hair I made sure the hair was rolled pointing downwards as I wanted the surface of the style to be quite smooth whereas the layers underneath needed to be very volumous to create the body of the style so I rolled these upwards.

Here you can see the mannequin with the finished style. I was really pleased with the volume created and thought that it looked very 60s and quite dramatic, which is suitable for AHS Asylum. 
One issue that did occur to me is that my model has a small fringe - which I decided I would incorporate in to the design. 


No comments:

Post a Comment